Friday, April 28, 2017

The Book of Knowledge: The Behavior of a Sound

(Grape hyacinth blossoms)
     The Book of Knowledge says everything so well I could just quote the whole chapter....
     "We have been reading of music; let us go a little more carefully into the question of overtones, or harmonics. We can study it very well by taking a single string stretched between two points over a sounding-board. That is practically the same as a violin with a single string. Everyone knows (do they?) that a violin string may be sounded by plucking with the finger, or by being played with the bow; and we all know (do we?) that the kind of sound produced by bowing is vastly different from the sound produced by plucking."
   I might also note (ha!) that harmonics are (on the violin) when I gently lay my finger on a certain point on the string, no pressure, and play. The note will be higher than if I had pushed down on the string. It's a lot of fun to play around with. The common harmonics are the fourth position fourth finger on all four strings.

Enjoy the sunshine! 

5 comments:

  1. Yes! It took a while but I finally found it.
    Your hint, helped! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something at least related to harmonics. You probably know this already. If you use the pedal while playing Staccatos they still sound slightly different than the regular notes.
    Also, I really like playing ritardandos.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!