Wednesday, March 15, 2017

The Book of Knowledge: On Spain

(Persicaria ...also known as fire-weed)
    Spain used to be far more talked about than it is now. The Book of Knowledge puts it this way "Spain's ambitions left her friendless among the nations." Friendless? Spain seems a little on the haughty side of temperament, the kind that looks down on all others and is not the kindest of speech.
    One thing about Spain that jumps out at me is the architecture. Unlike Australia's architecture, that just blended in with the scenery, Spain seems to do the exact opposite. The churches are tall and spiky, and they point ever upwards toward heaven. They complement the scenery, rather than blending into it.

4 comments:

  1. Many plants in the Persicaria family are also known as
    "Smartweed".
    Also, I thought fire weed was in the Epilobium family.
    Oh, by the way, I've found this site helpful when identifying plants: https://www.minnesotawildflowers.info, or in other words,
    A Link for a Link :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that Persicaria isn't a plant by itself.

    I hope I did not offend you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you did not offend me! I just had a busy day yesterday and didn't have time to get back to you.
      I think maybe you're right. When we first found Persicaria Mom looked it up and found fireweed. But maybe she was remembering it wrong ;)
      Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to hear it. Even our family has certain names for a few plants: like tinker toys or snake grass which I recently found out is actually,Equisetum hyemale (Tall Scouring Rush). I doubt blogspot was programmed to spell check Latin; as,every Latin term is apparently misspelled:) I really like how they have a list of plants in bloom each month.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!