Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Cathedral of Saint Paul

   
 (I did not take this picture)
       In case you didn't know, I recently went to perform at the Cathedral of Saint Paul as part of the Southwest Minnesota Orchestra. We (the youth) enjoyed time together on a bus to the Cathedral, our subject matter going from favorite musical genres to euthanasia.
     When we got to the Cathedral, we musicians had some free time, to either eat our lunches, tune, or change outfits. I tuned and waited while my friend Anni changed outfits, and then we went together up to the sanctuary. I cannot explain pulling open those heavy engraved wooden doors that lead into the sanctuary, and knowing only a small bit of what was beyond. Nor can I describe the awe we both felt as we stepped into the sanctuary. Anni and I both let our jaws drop and exclaimed "Oh!" . It was quiet, and we let the hugeness of the place swallow us. The level of detail in every little place is unbelievable.
(I didn't take this one either)
It was amazing. I really have a hard time explaining it. We walked around and took a few pictures, I saw my Grandpa there taking pictures also, and then we went back downstairs. Downstairs was a maze that held the chapel, a spiral staircase, the choir room, a back entrance to upstairs, and a few other rooms. I knew the code to get into the choir room, and we warmed up there and waited to be called upstairs to rehearse. When we did go upstairs I was eagerly awaiting to hear the acoustics. We were told it was a five second ring time, and I was pretty excited about that. We rehearsed, and I will admit, I was paying more attention to our conductor and the music than the long echo. Of course, I knew it was there, especially at the end of phrases. After rehearsing we went back downstairs and waited some more. I went up and located my family before the concert.  Then it was time. Time to get all the notes right, time to play the music, time to enjoy it while it flew by. And I did. :) I kept thinking "I have to enjoy this right now, this note, because it's not going to last." We did the pieces justice, I think. We were all just soaking it up. There was one section in the Organ Symphony (by Saint-Saens) where we strings and winds die down to almost nothing, and then nothing. And then, out of the stillness, a huge organ chord breaks through! And I mean HUGE. I just grinned at that part. The majesty! The piece ended with a huge orchestral and organ chord as well. We heard the sound bouncing off the stone walls, then fading away. It was over. But oh, it was worth it. :) It was worth the tiredness the next day (which happened to be a Sunday; a very hard day to be tired on), it was worth the long car and bus ride, it was worth all the hard rehearsals, and it was all worth doing for my God. To Him be Glory now and forever.
I did take this one, on Anni's phone. 

1 comment:

  1. Sounds lovely! :-)
    ~Gracie
    smileandcraftag.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!