Monday, May 8, 2017

Summer Book Series: The Edge on the Sword

(the book without its dust jacket. I have problems with the dust jacket. You also get a sneak peak of what is to come!)

   Well, here we are, with the Summer Book Series, hereafter referred to as SBS. I'll note now that I am not going through these in a list of highest recommendation down. I don't recommend The Edge on the Sword more than Pendragon's Heir, for example.
   The Edge on the Sword, by Rebecca Tingle is a newly discovered book in our family. I was skimming the shelves in the library not too long ago looking at the latest and eye-catching cover designs. (If you'd like to see what I do for designing, check out my sister's blog post here.) Anyway, The Edge on the Sword caught my attention and I picked it up and read the fly-leaf. AEthelflaed. The name jumped out at me, for a recent Queen of Northshield was of that name. Could it be her time-period? Was the AEthelflaed of the book a feminist, was she stubborn? So we checked it out, and upon reading it, we bought it. Why? Well, to begin with, AEthelflaed was an almost stubborn girl who grew to be a strong (not feminist) woman character, and by strong I mean she learned to defend herself and yes, she had to use those skills (not to spoil it for you). Also strong emotionally and physically (though that is somewhat implied by her fighting). She travels with her guardian, one of her fathers' best soldiers. At first their relationship (ugh, I don't like to use that word) is awkward, but as AEthelflaed grows up and realizes why her father had this man keep watch over her she appreciates him more. I'm trying really hard not to spoil it for you. So if you'd like to know more, I suggest you check it out from the library or buy a copy. The writing style is catching and will keep you in the book. Don't start reading it right before bed. :) 
   Have you read The Edge on the Sword? What did you think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!