Thursday, June 29, 2017

Once More, My Soul



Once more, my soul, the rising day 
Salutes thy waking eyes;
Once more, my voice, thy tribute pay, 
To Him that rules the skies!

Night unto night His name repeats, 
The day renews the sound
Wide as the heav'n on which He sits,
To turn the seasons round.

Tis He supports my mortal frame,
My tongue shall speak his praise;
My sins would rouse His wrath to flame,
And yet his wrath delays.

One a poor worm Thy pow'r might tread,
And I could ne'er withstand;
Thy justice might have crush'd me dead,
But mercy held Thine hand.

A thousand wretched souls are fled,
Since the last setting sun, 
And yet Thou length'nest out my thread,
And yet my moments run.

Dear God, let all my hours beThine
Whilst I enjoy the light,
Then shall my sun in smiles decline
And bring a pleasant night.


~Isaac Watts

4 comments:

  1. Your sun will certainly decline in smiles. (Glitter, too, but I fancy Watts would think that unpoetic.)

    But I don't know if you've happened to have noticed the singular misspelling in the title of your post? It's as if you're asking your soul for another song or drink or something, in the style of "One More For the Road" (which is a good song, by the way, by Jose Sao Pacian of NS).

    *fades into the night*

    https://ofdreamsandswords.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glitter is always poetic!

      The typo has died in a blast of silver glitter. It shall trouble me no more.

      *um, it's not night, so how are you fading into it, if I may ask?*

      Delete
  2. What's the tune? The only thing that comes to mind is "Finlandia"
    And I know that's not right.

    *metaphor perhaps?*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tune name is Consolation, or Morning Song. It is numbers 88 and 373 in the red hymnal.

      *Oh, yes, metaphor could work*

      Delete

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!