Monday, November 13, 2017

♯ Making Music ♯

Image may contain: 1 person
(Photo credit to SMSU Today)

It takes work, practice time, and energy. Lots of energy. I never realized how much energy went into a single performance until I was in an orchestra. Also, focus. Focus on the music, the time signature, conductor, bowing, intonation, dynamic, and detail. Playing in an orchestra is a completely different skill than performing solo, or as a duet or small ensemble. 

BUT it's so totally completely worth it. Every ounce of energy, every late night, every note played, and every piece of music performed. Every emotion felt.

I also play differently solo than say, at church with the congregation. It's a different technique altogether. My adrenaline can get pretty high when I compete . . . 😉 If you've only ever heard violins in a solo performance do not expect the same sound if you plop them with an ensemble. There's so much team-work that goes into playing with a group. 

(Photo credit to SMSU Today)

If you have the opportunity to play in a group I strongly suggest it. It's literally eye opening and such a space for learning, not to mention the community to help you learn. 


7 comments:

  1. Olivia,
    You have learned so much since you were a little girl playing the violin. Tho it is hard work don't ever give up the pleasure of playing.
    I love you....Gram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I have learned so so much! :)
      I love you too!

      Delete
  2. Reading this makes me want to get back into the orchestra groove again! You're so right about focusing! There are so many layers to playing in a large group that make it complicated, but it is well worth the experience! Thanks for the post!
    ~ Megan Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks for the comment, Megan! Orchestra is fun, isn't it? What instrument do you play?

      Delete
  3. Yay, you posted!
    How do you like teaching?
    I meant to ask you Sunday.

    Piano four hands is a lot fun.
    But it's also very different from a violin piano duet.
    I'm still learning how to play in a trio though! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teaching is going well, so far. I think my little pupil is a fast learner and that helps too.

      There's a lot of great trios out there! :)

      Delete
  4. Do you enjoy teaching?
    It seems I've made a trio of comments.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!