Monday, November 12, 2018

It happened

Yup. I hit a deer. I'm okay. 

    I mentioned on here earlier that I was going to play alongside a Chorale for five concerts, two weekends. This past weekend was the last set of concerts. Saturday I picked up one of the members of the choir, and we started out for our destination. I had seen many deer already, so I was watching for them more than usual. It was getting darker and darker the closer we got to our destination, and we were in the river valley. There was a car in front of me, and one behind me. At one point a deer leapt out in front of the car ahead of me, so we all slowed down for that, but it didn't get hit. Around another bend, and the car in front of me got farther ahead, but not far enough for me to be able to use my bright lights. I spotted deer number nine, trotting out from some brush on my left. It never hesitated. I stomped on the brakes, but the deer was too close. It made a huge sound as I hit it --- a big WHAP! It flew at us over the windshield and bounced into the ditch. I had continued on the brakes, and now I pulled over and put my hazards on. I was pretty shaken up, as you can imagine, and my lovely passenger was asking how I was, if I was okay. I just returned the question. Thankfully the airbags hadn't gone off and the seat-belts hadn't locked us up too badly. So, when I had remembered to breathe, and we had established that we were both okay, I hopped out of the car to assess the damage. Front left headlight = smashed. Left side hood = smashed. Windshield = good, surprisingly not cracked. Tire alignment = good.  Grid = smashed. I went and picked up the pieces out of the road. My car wasn't overheating or smoking, so we continued cautiously to the concert venue. I was relieved to find that my violin had also come out just fine, despite tumbling around the back seat. I called my mom and dad from the venue, to prepare them. They were coming to the concert anyway. Next I tried to focus on the concert that was at hand, steady my hands, and think on things pertaining to the moment. And you know what? That concert was the best out of the five. Weird, the way things happen sometimes. 

   I was sore yesterday (mostly my neck and shoulders), but my passenger said she wasn't. My car is in the shop getting new tires today (that was planned anyway) and it'll get a check-up too. 

   The concerts are over, and I already miss my new group of old friends. They're so much fun. Sigh. They're singing with us at the orchestra's Christmas concert though, so only a month before I see them again! 




2 comments:

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!