Friday, April 21, 2017

The Book of Knowledge: Hot things and cold things

(lilac sprouts)
   Resuming the Book of Knowledge posts... did you miss them? To be honest, I kind of missed writing them. 
   Today's chapter is on the temperature and the state of things in certain temperatures, boiling water, ice, and "a piece of solid air that can be seen."
Our own bodies are bad conductors of heat. Another reason wearing clothes is helpful, or why babies need to be all wrapped up in blankets until they're old enough that their body starts to regulate itself better.
   Plain water is "thick" when cold and "thin" when boiling or hot. After reading that, I'm curious if we can detect a difference or if it requires a machine to do that. Cold water on a hot summer day might feel "heavier" in your mouth than a cup of hot tea. But I think that might have to do with the temperature. I'm not sure. 

2 comments:

  1. The boiling point of water is 212°F which seems perfectly ordinary.
    And then to turn everything upside down, so to speak.
    I found out that the lower the pressure is, the lower the temperature needed for water to boil. So if you had a glass of water on Mars it would boil away rather quickly.
    (Why you would have a glass of water on Mars in the first place, I don't know)

    I'm glad you're doing more posts on "the book of a little more knowledge"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's cool. I never thought that would happen.

      Delete

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!