Friday, July 7, 2017

Ahem, a late music post

     I decided to switch the order of posts this week, and publish the SCA post first, so my sister could link to the pictures from her blog.
    MUSIC. . .
    What I have been listening toRussian Baroque Vocal pieces I went looking for Russian music soon after my sister started writing a Russian retelling of Snow White. (You can read about it here.) I really like the quality of the singers' voices. They are so clear and pleasant to listen to. The instrumentation is good too.
    What I have been playing: I am in yet another wedding in September, this time as part of a quartet. This is my sixth wedding, and the quartet is getting paid. The bride chose.... Pachelbel's Canon in D. Of course! How cliche that piece has become! If you, my dear reader, ever get married, do know there is more music fitting for weddings than Canon in D. Anyway, I have been practicing it. The arrangement we are using is a basically a round between three violins, with the poor cellist playing the same eight notes over and over again. Over all I think it is fun to play, the hard part of it being to make it sound new again to the audience.
    I've also been learning the 14th and 15th two-part inventions for piano, by Bach. They are extremely fun, once you get the hang of them.

What is your favorite genre of music? Can you tell what mine is? 

Edited to ask if you like the new header image? 

8 comments:

  1. I like it!
    Wait, that looks suspiciously like music ribbon!

    I'm still debating whether to change mine or not.


    * it's so shiny in here * :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a ribbon! It does only repeat itself, so I tried not to get a picture of all of it.

      Change your mind? On liking the header image?

      *Yes, I recently mopped! Or did you mean the glitter everywhere?* :)

      Delete
  2. The ribbon gives me the idea to embroider a beautiful piece of music. A project for next year maybe!
    Oh, Not that! The header image is way cool!
    I've been considering whether or not to change the header image of my corner of the Web. (one begins to wonder how many corners this "web thing" has.)


    * both I suppose!
    I can see it now:
    "Miss white's recipe for sparkly clean comment boxes:

    One gallon hot water,
    Two pounds glitter,
    Two cap fulls mop soap.*


    {WARNING! May contain traces of glitter}. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That embroidery is a good idea, but I know it would take me forever to finish!

      "(one begins to wonder how many corners this "web thing" has.)" I laughed when I read that. It's so true, though.

      *Two pounds of glitter, one silver and one gold, to give an iridescent glow. An interesting note, St Paul's Cathedral floors are waxed with a 1 million dollar marble coating, so ..... the cellists were warned not to stick their Npins into the floor! :)*

      Delete
  3. Interesting, did they use pieces of felt or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to read that a few times to know what you mean, but to answer your question....
      I didn't ask! Maybe? You might be able to look it up.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps if I had asked whether the cellists used felt under their instruments. It would have been easier to understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, well, maybe :).
      Actually, no, they had all brought rockstops with them: https://www.google.com/search?q=cello+rockstops&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS689US689&oq=cello+rockstops&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.2965j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

      Delete

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!