Thursday, March 14, 2019


   Hi guys! It's been a bit since I posted, but this post has been behind-the-scenes for a while now. I know I mention work a fair amount, and not always positive things, so today I thought I'd share some of my favorite things about working at the bakery. 


   I love talking to customers. Yep, and I think they like it too. 😉 It really is a small world and I never can guess who will come in that I know. . . or what friendly little old lady will stop and chat, or what old farmer will tease me about having a boyfriend, or being too young to work, or giving them a better price than my co-workers (I don't). 

   I do also like handling fresh food: donuts that have just come out of the fryer, fresh vegetables for salads, frostings and sprinkles. . . that sort of thing. I love getting to work early in the morning, beating the sun out of bed, and smelling the delicious donut/baked yumminess in the streets of small-town MN. No-one else is awake, just us, preparing a delicious breakfast for those still sleeping. (Do I ever wish I was one of those people doing the sleeping and eating?? Yes. 😏)

   Along with that goes decorating. Whenever we have a big cupcake or cookie order, I get to help decorate. Most of the time I find it soothing. It's also one of those tasks that takes a while and those are nice once in a while. . . no "hurry do that, run over there, they need you, or can you make me x?" I usually add toppings to cupcakes, such as Reeses pieces on chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting... or making green frosting look like grass. . . or simply adding sprinkles. 

Ok, you knew this was coming, didn't you? I like eating. I mean, I'm in a bakery, there's scraps! And you can't just throw away yummy food! (well. . . ) Employees still have to pay for food, just not tax on certain items. But once in a while, there's cake pieces and "shavings" from round cakes (the tops mound, so you have to level them before use), and we get to nibble on those. Or you accidentally mix a little bit too much filling for a sandwich (oops) and get to have that. Or someone messes up an order and accidentally makes extra bbq chicken... so we get to eat that. And of course there's Saturdays. 😋 Saturdays after closing employees are allowed to take home donuts, free of charge... not a huge box, mind you, but just enough to share with family. We're allowed too take certain breads and sweet breads too. It's a nice gesture to those of us who work weekends. 

What would you like to read about next? 

I'm going to go to bed now so I can actually get up tomorrow for work... hehe. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments! Please keep them clean and respectful of God and man!